MIDDLE SCHOOL DRESS CODE
In the interest of having a safe, orderly school, which minimizes distractions and maximizes the learning environment, a dress code has been established for all middle school students in the Coweta County School System. Every middle school student is expected to dress and be groomed in accordance with acceptable standards of cleanliness and modesty.
1. If a student chooses to wear shorts or a skirt, the shorts or skirt must be of appropriate length. The appropriate measurement will be determined when the student is standing erect, hands by his/her side; fingertips should not extend below the hem of the clothing, maintaining modesty at all times.
2. Jeggings, leggings, and/or other form-fitting pants can be worn provided the shirt is fingertip length.
3. Low-cut tops and/or blouses are also not allowed.
4. All shirts, blouses, and dresses must have sleeves.
5. Holes on clothing above the fingertips should not expose skin. No items of clothing are allowed that may be affiliated with gang activity, as defined by administration and law enforcement.
6. No “hardware chains” may be worn as belts, wallet chains, or jewelry. No chains of this type are allowed on school campus or at any school function. No hats, bandanas, or headbands may be worn or displayed during the instructional day.
7. No items may be worn with inappropriate pictures, symbols, or lettering. This includes, but is not limited to, depictions of alcohol, drugs, or weapons. Statements that might be deemed offensive to others are prohibited. No writing is allowed on the seat of pants or skirts.
8. Pajamas, lounge pants, and/or house shoes or slippers may not be worn to school unless approved by the administration during special occasions.
9. Shoes with wheels may not be worn to school. Other shoes that may present a safety hazard are not allowed.
If a student is in violation of the dress code, he/she will be given the opportunity to correct the violation. If the student fails to correct the violation, he/she may be asked to call home for appropriate clothing and/or may receive disciplinary consequences as determined by the administrative staff.